Let the fun continue! While the seat cushion took me several hours from start to finish, it really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I took my time and carefully followed each step from Little Blue Boo. After persevering through the first cushion, I felt prepared to take on the reupholstery world! That was, until I took the seam ripper to the back cushion.
EEK! No foam here!
The reinforced stitching went through the stuffing, so I just used my seam ripper to release it.
I continued with my seam ripper (I'm telling you, that little tool will be your best friend on a project like this!), releasing the outer seams and the button-looking pinched parts that were in the center of the cushion. Here's what it looked like when I got it completely opened:
Once again, I wanted to keep the original fabric under my new fabric to give it that extra layer of durability. In addition to the big chunk of poly fil, there was also a thin layer of it sewn onto the fabric. I decided to leave that layer in place as well. After I separated the two sides of the cushion, I did the exact same thing that I did on the seat cushion...I used the old covers as my templates, cut out my bird fabric, pinned it all together, and sewed it three ways around, leaving the bottom opening to insert the cushion (see above). Finally, I was Jo-Ann bound. I'm so glad I took the cover with me, because I ended up buying Nu-foam that was sold by the yard from a big roll. I was able to buy just enough for this project. (I used a 50% off one item coupon from my Jo-Ann mobile app, which came in handy since this stuff is $23 per yard!) While I was there, I also picked out some cute buttons that matched my bird fabric & added a little more aesthetically-pleasing touch for the center of the cushion. I bought 8 buttons, four for each side, but more on that in a bit...
Nu Foam cut to the shape of the cover
The sheet of Nu Foam I bought was 2 inches thick, but my scissors would only cut half of it at a time. If you run into this problem, just insert your scissors into half the thickness of the foam, cut it, and then go back and cut the other half. One mistake I made was tracing the size of the cushion to the exact same size as the cover. You'll want to cut the foam a little bit smaller than the actual cover or it will bunch up and look lumpy when you slide it inside the cover. I had to go back and trim mine again, finally getting it to the right size, and I sewed the bottom seam closed.
Measure for the new "button" holes
The finished product!